What’s the secret to this #shelfie trend that’s been sweeping social media? We love how these little vignettes provide the perfect way to express personal home style on Instagram — no matter what kind of home you live in. Although the shelfie originated on bookshelves, we like how they’ve expanded into every part of the home — these stylish displays work just as well on tiny coffee tables in urban apartments, as they do on expansive mantles in suburban mansions.
1. Stick to cohesive colors. Pick a palette of 2-3 colors for sure-fire shelfie success. We love how this simple vignette uses all black, white and gold — with a splash of vibrant green from the succulent. (via @mandyandsuch)
2. Remember: like likes like. Not sure where to start? When styled properly, a simple collection (even if it’s just all of your all-white dishes) makes for on dramatic shelfie. (via @m.a.beaulieu)
3. Find a theme. We’re all for mixing and matching, but when all else fails, a theme can help smooth out your shelfie style. This mantle shelfie has a soothing, organic feel thanks to one of our found dough bowls and dried coral. (via @jenwidner)
4. Add something vintage. Don’t just rely on new goodies to make your shelfie shine. We love how this shelfie combines one of our favorite lamps with a few select, curated vintage pieces. (via House of Brinson)
5. Be playful. Scrap the theme and just have fun! This shelfie plays with elements of the unexpected — the tiny succulents, framed photo and pieces of coral all work beautifully. (via Zio & Sons)
Don’t forget to show us your #shelfies on Instagram! Tag them with #mypotterybarn — we’ll regram our favorites.