While the 4th of July may be over, our obsession with grilling and outdoor entertaining is in full swing! However, there are only so many burgers and hotdogs a person can consume in one Summer season. Fortunately, thanks to meal-kit delivery service HelloFresh, you don’t have to worry about being bored at your next barbecue. We teamed up with HelloFresh’s expert chef Freida, aka the skewer master, to create two delicious skewers pairing fruit with meat.
The results are a delicious combination of sweet and savory; a chipotle and pineapple shrimp skewer and a jerk chicken, peach, and red onion skewer. Either way you go, it’s a flavor explosion that will have you thinking twice about serving a hot dog at your next cookout. And don’t forget the scroll to the bottom for a special offer from HelloFresh!
- 12oz Chicken Thighs, Boneless Skinless
- 1 Tablespoon Jerk Seasoning
- 1 Red Onion
- 1 Peach
- 1 Lemon
- 1/4 oz Cilantro
- 2 Teaspoons Oil
- Soak the skewers in a shallow dish of water. Preheat broiler to high. Halve, peel, and chop half the onion into 1-inch cubes. Halve, pit, and slice the peach into wedges. Cut the lemon into wedges. Roughly chop the cilantro. Cut the chicken into 1-inch cubes.
- Toss the chicken, jerk seasoning, red onion, and a drizzle of oil together in a medium bowl. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Thread the skewers with the chicken, onion, and peach slices. Place onto a foil-lined baking sheet and place under the broiler for about 5 minutes per side, until cooked through and slightly charred. Alternately, skewers can be cooked on the grill.
- Finish skewers with a squeeze of lime and a sprinkle of cilantro.
For those who are looking for a lighter option, we have a tasty alternate to the standard chicken and beef fair using shrimp and bell peppers with a spicy kick of chipotle.
- 1/5 pound peeled shrimps
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 1 4oz Cubed Pineapple
- 1 Shallot
- 1/4oz Cilantro
- 1/2 Teaspoon Chipotle Chili Powder
- 1 Lime4 Skewers, 10-inch
- 2 Teaspoons Olive Oil
- Soak the skewers in a shallow dish of water. Preheat broiler to high. Core, seed, and dice the pepper into 3/4 -inch cubes. Halve, peel, and dice the shallot onto ¾-inch pieces. Finely chop the cilantro, reserving a few leaves for garnish. Mince or grate the garlic. Halve the lime.
- Toss the shrimp in a large bowl with the bell pepper, pineapple, shallot, garlic, chipotle powder, cilantro, and a drizzle of olive oil. Season generously with salt and pepper. Thread the shrimp, peppers, pineapple and shallot onto the skewers, alternating between each.
- Place the skewers onto a foil-lined baking sheet and broil for about 5 minutes per side. Alternately, the skewers can be grilled. Finish with a squeeze of lime and the reserved cilantro leave
For more delicious summer meals, try HelloFresh! Every week, you choose 3, 4, or 5 recipes on www.hellofresh.com, and they deliver all the recipes and pre-measured ingredients to your door. Click here to subscribe with $35 off your first box!