This side dish is a beautiful expression of what can be made from a late Winter or early Spring garden. The introduction of dukkah, an aromatic Middle Eastern spice blend elevates this dish and gives it a vibrancy and depth of flavor perfect for entertaining. Dukkah can be ordered online or found at many specialty food markets.
ROASTED CARROTS AND GOLDEN BEETS
- 1 bunch carrots
- 2 red onions, quartered
- 4 medium golden beets
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- Salt and freshly cracked pepper
- 4 or 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 orange
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ¾ cup (180 ml) full-fat Greek yogurt
- 3 tables spoons dukkah spice blend
- 1/2 cup microgreens
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220˚C)
- Place the carrots and red onion on a sheet pan. Drizzle them with oil and season with salt and pepper and roast for 20-25 minutes.
- Place the golden beets in the center of a large piece of foil. Drizzle them with oil and season with salt and pepper. Add a few thyme sprigs and tightly seal the foil around the beets to make a packet.
- Place the beet packet on another rimmed baking sheet pan and roast until the beets are tender when pierced with a knife, 45 minutes to 1 hour, depending on the size of your beets.
- Unwrap the beets and let them cool slightly. Remove the skin by pinching and peeling it off with your fingers, or rubbing it with a paper towel.
- Squeeze the juice from half of an orange into a medium bowl. Add the shallot and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper and whisk in the oil.
- Cut the beets into wedges and toss them with some of the dressing. Just before serving, season the yogurt with salt and pepper. Arrange the carrots, onions and beet wedges over the yogurt, spooning some of the dressing over the top. Sprinkle with spice blend and microgreens.
We suggest serving the dish family-style on a large platter. Not only does it make for a beautiful presentation, but reduces waste since guests will only take what they want. Check out our entire selection of Better Basics serving platters and bowls.