To celebrate the last day of Earth Month, we are sharing with you 10 fun facts about our ocean provided by our friends at Ocean Conservancy (you may remember them from our earlier posts this month: The Top 10 Items Found on U.S. Beaches and 6 Easy Things You Can do to Help the Environment)! These facts blew our mind! So many #didyouknow moments! Check ’em out below!
2. An octopus can change the color and texture of its skin to match that of its surroundings. The mimic octopus can even pretend to be an entirely different animal!
3. Your toilet is 3,000 times more likely to hurt you than a shark.
4. The male seahorse is the parent who gives birth to their offspring!
5. The biggest clownfish is always female. When she dies, the biggest male becomes a female!
6. Half of the oxygen you breathe comes from the ocean.
7. More than 2.6 billion people rely on the ocean as a source of protein.
8. Today’s average ocean critter is 150 times larger than the average one living half a billion years ago.
9. The Gulf of Mexico is home to 33 Brydes whales, which may be an entirely different subspecies from the rest of the world’s Brydes whales.
10. America’s ocean and coasts provide jobs for 2.3 million people in thousands of communities across the country.
What did you learn? Share with us in the comments!