Happy Earth Day PBteen! To celebrate this awesome day, we are sharing 6 easy things you can do to make a difference in the world provided by our friends at Ocean Conservancy!
1. Can It – Use trash cans with lids! This way garbage and debris stays in place and doesn’t get blown away.
2. Tap It – Use tap water in a reusable bottle! It is a great choice for the environment, your wallet, and possibly your health. Did you know nearly 90% of plastic water bottles are not recycled, instead taking thousands of years to decompose?!
3. Butt In – Write your legislators to ask for policies that address our ocean trash problems. It is time for you to get your voice heard on what matters to you!
4. Recycle It – Take the extra step to sort and separate items that can be recycled! The U.S. EPA estimates that 75 percent of our waste is recyclable! Did you know recycling just the Sunday papers would save more than half a million trees every week?! If you think that’s insane, get ready for this one: twenty recycled aluminum cans can be made with the energy it takes to manufacture one brand new one!
5. Reuse It – Bring reusable coffee cups and shopping bags while you are out and about! Most coffee shops will happily fill your own cup 🙂 Be sure to pass on plastic bags! They are not biodegradable, and are making their way into our oceans, and subsequently, the food chain.
6. Remove It – Help clean up our coasts! Go to signuptocleanup.org to learn how! Volunteering is one of the best ways to help better our planet 🙂
Show us how you are helping the earth by entering our #HowIHelpTheEarth contest on Instagram! Just upload a photo of what you are doing to make a difference and tag @pbteen and #HowIHelpTheEarth for a chance to win a $250 PBteen gift card!