Summer is almost here and it’s the perfect time to start hosting slumber parties with your best friends! Instead of buying premade cookies and treats, we thought it would be fun to make the baking a part of the event with a few DIY recipes from Pankobunny. We’ll be sharing our three favorites throughout the week but couldn’t help starting with these Hashtag Cookies that can be custom made with your favorite Instagram hashtags.
Enter our Sleepover Giveaway for a chance to win sleeping bags (shaped like a pineapple and watermelon!), pillow cases, makeup pouches and colorful robes for you and 3 of your friends! All you have to do is share an Insta-selfie with you and your BFF using #PBteenBFFs and tell us why they’re the BEST for a chance to win. (Contest ends Friday, June 10, 2016)
Now, on to this delicious (and adorable!) recipe made by Cayla from Pankobunny:
Cookies (Ingredients (makes 15-20 cookies)
– 2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1/4 tsp salt
– 1/2 tsp baking powder
– 1/2 cup unsalted buter
– 1 cup sugar
– 1 egg
– 2 tbsp milk
– 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
– 1/2 lb confectioner’s sugar
– 2 1/2 tbsp meringue powder
– scant 1/4 cup water
– food colouring
– edible ink markers
Bake the Cookies:
1. Mix together the flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl. In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until it becomes light and fluffy. Add the milk to the mixture along with the egg and vanilla, and mix well. Then slowly add the flour mixture until it is just combined.
2. Shape the dough into a ball, then divide it into two balls. Wrap them in plastic wrap. Place one in the refrigerator to chill for 1 hour, and place the other ball of dough in the freezer to save for later use.
3. Lightly dust some flour onto your countertop, and roll the dough out until it is ¼ inch thick. Using a 2-inch circle-shaped cookie cutter, cut out circle shapes. Place these on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and bake for about 10 minutes at 350F, until lightly golden. Transfer these to cooling racks and allow to fully cool.
Make the Royal Icing:
1. Place the confectioner’s sugar, meringue powder and water into a bowl and beat with an electric mixer for about 7 minutes until the mixture is smooth and when drizzled, stays on the surface for a few seconds. If you find that the icing is too thick, gradually add a few more drops of water.
2. Divide the icing into as many bowls as you like and dye it your desired colours.
Decorate the Cookies:
1. Place the icing into piping bags fitted with round tips and pipe a border around the cookies. Add a few drops of water to the remaining icing and fill in the cookies. The water will make the icing more runny and easier to fill the large area.
2. Place the cookies on a cooling rack and allow to fully harden overnight.
3. Write your favourite hashtags onto the cookies and enjoy!
Click here to watch the tutorial video with Pankobunny!
Enter our Sleepover Giveaway for a chance to win sleeping bags (shaped like a pineapple and watermelon!), pillow cases, makeup pouches and colorful robes for you and 3 of your friends! All you have to do is share an Insta-selfie with you and your BFF using #PBteenBFFs and tell us why they’re the BEST for a chance to win.