With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, we would be remiss if we didn’t share one of our favorite cookie recipes with you. Because honestly, what’s Valentine’s Day without heart shaped cookies?? It’d be like just any other day if you ask us. So whether you’re looking for a fun activity for you and your little one or you need to bring cookies to a Valentine’s Day party, we’ve got the perfect recipe for you.
This sugar cookie recipe is simple, delicious, and beyond sweet with its love notes in pink frosting. So grab your apron and your little Valentine and get ready for the sweetest of treats.
- 3/4 cup (170g) unsalted butter, slightly softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature1
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract (for added flavor)
- 2 and 1/4 cups (281g) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- Assorted food coloring
Directions for the cookies:
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg, vanilla, and almond extract. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal parts. Roll each portion out onto a piece of parchment to about 1/4″ thickness. Stack the pieces (with paper) onto a baking sheet and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 1 day. Chilling is mandatory. If chilling for more than a couple hours, cover the top dough piece with a single piece of parchment paper.
- Once chilled, preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line 2-3 large baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. The amount of batches will depend on how large/small you cut your cookies. Remove one of the dough pieces from the refrigerator and using a cookie cutter, cut in shapes. Transfer the cut cookie dough to the prepared baking sheet. Re-roll the remaining dough and continue cutting until all is used.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden. Let stand on cookie sheet two minutes before removing to cool on wire racks.
Directions for the icing:
- In a small bowl, stir together confectioners’ sugar and milk until smooth. Beat in corn syrup and almond extract until icing is smooth and glossy. If icing is too thick, add more corn syrup.
- Divide into separate bowls, and add food colorings to each to desired intensity. Spread onto cookies for a base layer and fill piping tool with remainder icing to add personalized love notes.
(*Always sneak a bite of the frosting when no one’s watching. Because taste tests, right?!)
Don’t forget to share your Valentine’s Day pictures using #lovemypbk. Happy Valentine’s Day from our family to yours! ❤️