Written by Megan Bailey of Sweet Little Peanut for Building Blocks.
Valentine’s Day is one of my all time favorite holidays! Aside from all the pink and red hearts, I love what this holiday stands for — showing those special people in our lives just how much we love them!
When we think of Valentine’s Day, we often think about giving cards and candies to our friends and family. I prefer the idea of finding new and different ways to show our love for our families on Valentine’s Day. How about serving them a Valentine’s Day inspired breakfast?! This is the perfect way to start off the day and also fill up those little bellies! Think adorable tabletop, heart shaped pancakes, lots of fresh strawberries and raspberries, and of course pink milk! I’m excited to share with you this simple and also healthy homemade pop tart recipe that would be perfect to serve along side your Love Day breakfast!
Homemade Mini Strawberry Pop Tarts
- Double Pie Crust (premade or homemade)
- ½ cup Strawberry Jam
- 1 cup finely chopped strawberries
- 1 cup Creamy Honey
- 1 drop red food coloring (optional)
- Using premade pie dough crust (or homemade if you would preferred) roll out the pie dough into a large thin disk using a little flour on the top and bottom of the dough disk to prevent sticking.
- Cut out mini heart shapes using a cookie cutter. You can also cut into small squares if you don’t have a heart shaped cookie cutter.
- Place the bottom layer heart dough shapes on a lined cookie sheet. Mix the strawberry jam and chopped strawberries together in a bowl. Spoon small amounts of the strawberry filling onto each dough shape.
- Place another heart dough layer on the top and seal both layers + filling together by pressing down on the edges using a fork.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes until edges are golden brown. Remove and let cool.
- While the pop tarts are cooling mix the creamy honey with 1 drop of red food coloring until you make a light pink frosting mixture.
- Spread on top of the mini pop tarts and serve warm!
Makes 1 dozen.
I hope your little ones enjoy this perfect pop tart recipe this Valentine’s Day – Enjoy!