Happy Labor Day Weekend! We’re excited about having an extra day to celebrate (or mourn?) the end of summer. This weekend, we’re headed to the beach for a bonfire, Camp Makery style. Check out this entire inspiring shoot (with plenty of Pottery Barn love) here, and get the beach-friendly recipes below!
Baked Veggie Chips
I was inspired to create this recipe because my clients are often asking me what chips are the healthiest and which ones will help them lose weight. I often have to give out bad news, and now instead of just telling them there are no healthy chips, I can offer them this recipe.
- 2 cups assorted Root Vegetables such as sweet potatoes, turnips, carrots, golden or red beets, sliced thinly (I used both a mandolin slicer and just a knife)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- A couple dashes of sea salt
Preheat oven to 250°. Toss the root vegetable slices with olive oil and salt. Spread them out on a cookie sheet and bake for 1 hour. Flip the slices and bake for another hour to 90 minutes, until slightly brown and crisp. Let chips cool on a cooling rack.
Nectarine, Heirloom Tomato, and Basil Salad
This is a seasonal and fun version of a caprese salad. I love peaches and nectarines!
- 3 nectarines or peaches, peeled, seeded and sliced
- 3 heirloom tomatoes, sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 12 sweet basil leaves
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 3 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Toss nectarines, tomato, and basil together with the balsamic vinegar. Add mozzarella slices and serve.
Ahi Poke Dip
I get hooked on poke every time I visit friends in Hawaii. I end up craving it when I’m home, so now I make my own.
- 2 cups sashimi-grade ahi tuna
- 1/4 cup sweet onion, minced
- 1 green onion, sliced thin
- 1/3 cup soy sauce or tamari sauce
- 2 Tablespoons sesame oil
Dice tuna into large chunks. Mix all ingredients together well and chill.
Corn, Black Bean and Mango Salsa
Simple and yummy!
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed and roasted in the oven or 1 corn cob, boiled for 12 minutes and corn removed
- 1 cup black beans, cooked or drained and rinsed from a can
- 1 mango, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 1/3 cup red onion, diced
- 3 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, torn
- 1 lime, juiced
Add all the ingredients to a medium bowl and toss well.