Oh hey, ombre! We can not get enough of the ombre colors found in Fashion Designer Anna Sui’s Collection with PBteen. So we teamed up with one of our favorite chefs, Cayla from Pankobunny to whip up a cupcake recipe, inspired by Anna’s Metamorphosis Ombre Sateen Duvet. Scroll below to see how you can make them at home!
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- pink and purple food colouring
- 2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 cups confectioner’s sugar
- purple, pink and black food colouring
- Melted candy melts, in a variety of colours
- molding trays
Bake the cupcakes:
1. Beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and eggs one a time, mixing with each addition.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Add this to the batter in 2 additions, alternating with the buttermilk. Divide the batter into 3 bowls and dye them dark purple, medium purple and pink.
3. Pour each shade of batter into muffins cups in a lined muffin tin. Bake at 350F for 20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the cupcakes comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack and cool completely.
Make the buttercream:
1. Beat the butter with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and beat until combined. Add the confectioner’s sugar one cup at a time, then beat for 3-5 minutes, until fluffy. Divide the buttercream into 4 bowls and leave one bowl white and dye the remaining 3 bowls pink, purple and black.
2. Spread each shade of buttercream vertically into a piping bag fitted with a 2D star-shaped piping tip, so that each shade takes up ¼ of the bag.
1. Pour the candy melts into makeup and fashion-themed chocolate molds. Transfer them to the freezer until set, about 20 minutes.
2. Pipe the buttercream onto the cupcakes in a swirl motion, then top with a chocolate decoration.
Click here to shop our new Anna Sui Collection and show us how you’re styling your designs by tagging us with #mypbteen!