(Photo via Douglas Friedman)
Although beautiful design is his bread and butter, Ken Fulk is just as well-known for throwing one fabulous fête. From Moroccan-themed penthouse soirées, to Sunday suppers with mashed potatoes and roast chicken, Ken knows how to put together the perfect get-together from start to finish.
(There’s more than one reason we decided to launch our exclusive collaboration with him. See the Ken Fulk and Pottery Barn collection here. )
“Whenever I plan a party, I imagine it unfolding like a beautiful movie inside my mind. There are establishing shots of the space, scenes of guests arriving, close-ups of late-night silliness; there is always the perfect song playing in the background,” says Ken.
Read on to get in the party-planning mood with Ken’s favorite tips, tricks and incredibly inspirational ideas — plus, some of our favorite photos from our #KenFulkxPB events.
Ken’s Top Magical Party Tips:
- The invitation is more important than you think! It sets the stage for your party from the get-go. Going formal? Consider a handwritten invitation with a flower. If your party is more casual, go digital — but skip the pre-made template. “I prefer to make my own email invitations by layering some fun copy over an evocative snapshot,” says Ken.
- Throw a few wild cards into your guest list. “When crafting your guest list, remember: The magic happens when you mix it up. Don’t be afraid to invite your favorite grande dame and your punk rock neighbor to the same dinner,” says Ken.
- “Don’t give party favors no one wants. A goodie bag filled with freebies isn’t really a gift,” says Ken. Want to do something practical that everyone will love? Box up desserts or leftovers in cute boxes or mason jars with ribbon, or give out a copy of your playlist to guests as they leave.
- Fresh cut flowers are a must for any party — whether you’re entertaining in a grand ballroom or a tiny apartment, there’s no better way to bring life to a space. Go big, but keep it simple — even with a limited budget, you can go cheap and cheerful with sunflowers and daffodils.
Ingredients to the perfect party:
- A magical atmosphere.
- Dim the lights: everything and everyone will look better.
- “Don’t get hung up on matching. Gold rimmed plates and silver candlesticks are fine together.” (Photo via @kateperrysf on Instagram)
- Some seriously delicious bites.
- “Don’t be shy about serving take-out presented in beautiful serving dishes,” says Ken. “It takes the stress out of entertaining, which will make you a happier host.”
- Keep it simple. “First and foremost, the meal should be delicious. For the Sunday suppers I host at my home, I’ll serve roast chicken and mashed potatoes. No one leaves disappointed.”
- Want something a little fancier? Have one of your favorite restaurants provide a few small bites. Ken’s particularly fond of these three:
Jon & Vinny’s (Los Angeles)
Marlowe (San Francisco)
- Plenty of cocktails & mocktails.
- Have a tray of drinks ready when guests arrive — both you and your guests will be grateful!
- Don’t forget mocktails and spritzers for those guests that prefer their drinks non-alcoholic.
- A groovy playlist.
- “Make three different playlists: one to set the mood for arrival, a second more ambient mix to allow for conversation, and a third that gets everyone up and dancing,” says Ken.
- Keep the stereo remote within arm’s reach. “Party volume tends to ebb and flow, and you don’t want to be frantically looking for the controller,” says Ken.
- “A DJ for a dance party is a must — even if the DJ is you,” says Ken. Who’s Ken’s favorite DJ? The gorgeous and talented DJ Kiss is a must-have at his more festive get-togethers. Keep reading to get her playlist that’s ready to go for your next party!
Want to learn more about Ken Fulk? Click here to see his full collection, get the behind the scenes scoop and watch some of our favorite videos.