Happy Memorial Day! This year marks the 145th anniversary of the Memorial Day holiday, which was first declared in 1868 as Decoration Day. Here are a few suggestions to honor veterans this holiday.
- Find out what your town civic organizations have planned for Memorial Day. Is there a service you can attend? A parade? Gathering with community is a wonderful way to honor veterans and connect with your community.
- Fly the American flag today. On Memorial Day, be sure to fly your flag at half-staff until noon.
- Join in the National Moment of Remembrance. Signed into law on May 31, 1999, this act encourages all Americans to pause at 3 p.m. on Memorial Day and participate in a moment of silence and reflection to recognize and reflect on the sacrifices veterans have made while serving our country.
- Donate money to the Memorial Day Foundation, which will place bouquets on the National war monuments in Washington D.C.
- Visit friends, family members and neighbors who are veterans and thank them for their service in person.
How do you honor veterans and those who have served our country on Memorial Day? Leave your thoughts in the comments.