Let them eat milkshake cake! Today, Melina of Sugary & Buttery shares this fun and delicious cake recipe with us that’s the perfect addition to any dessert table. The cake’s light pink hue not only looks pretty, but it tastes exactly like strawberry ice cream. What’s not to love? Ingredients FOR THE CAKE 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature 4.5 cups cake flour (not self-rising) 2 cups milk 8 large egg whites 2 tablespoons baking powder 1 teaspoon vanilla paste or extract 2.5 cups sugar FOR THE FROSTING 1 packs / 16 oz cream cheese, room temperature 4 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature ½ cup sweetened strawberry puree, room temperature 2 cups sifted powdered sugar ⅔ cups of milk
1. Preheat oven to 350°F / 180°C and butter and flour three 6 inch cake pans.
2. Make the cake: In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg whites and milk. In a separate bowl, combine the flour and baking powder.
3. In the bowl of your electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter, sugar and vanilla on medium to high-speed until light and fluffy, for about 3 minutes.
4. Add a third of your milk-egg mixture and a third of your flour mixture while running your mixer on low-speed until just incorporated. Add the remaining flour and milk mixtures in 2 separate batches while continuing to run your mixer on low-speed. Stop the mixer when incorporated.
5. Spread the batter evenly among the cake pans and smooth out the batter. Bake for about 40-45 minutes until the cakes are golden and a tooth pick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
6. Let the cakes cool down on a cooling rack completely. When cool, cut off the tops and pour some of the milk on top of the cakes.
7. Make the frosting: Beat the cream cheese until fluffy. With the mixer running on low-speed, add the butter piece by piece. Turn up the speed and beat for about 5 minutes.
8. Add the sifted powdered sugar and keep beating, then add the strawberry puree. Make sure all ingredients have the same temperature to prevent the frosting from curdling up!
9. Beat until incorporated then start assembling and frosting your cake.
You may also like: Bridal Shower Dessert: Vanilla Sandwich Cookies