The best summer desserts combine everything we love about the season into one delectable treat. Sweet berries, refreshing citrus and a tiny taste of nostalgia blend in this cool and creamy tart from Two of a Kind, seen here with our Lia Paisley Napkins. This recipe is the perfect potluck dish to bring to summer barbecues — or just something sweet to enjoy at home on a hot day. Take a look at the full recipe below!
Strawberry Cream Cheese Tart
Makes one 10-inch tart
Strawberry-lemon curd (see notes):
2 cups sliced strawberries
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
2 tablespoons milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup granulated sugar
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Make the strawberry-lemon curd:
1. Combine strawberries and sugar in a food processor and process until smooth. In a small bowl, combine lemon juice and cornstarch. Pour mixture over puréed strawberries and process until smooth.
2. Press mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a small saucepan. Discard seeds and pulp. Bring mixture to a simmer over medium heat. Stir constantly and cook until somewhat thickened.
3. Remove mixture from heat and pour into a heat-proof bowl or glass jar and cool to room temperature. Press plastic wrap against the surface of the curd and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Make the crust:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a 10-inch (or 10¼-inch) tart pan with a removable bottom.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt. Add the butter and rub it into the flour mixture with your fingertips until it resembles coarse meal. Add the milk and mix with a fork. When the ingredients start to come together, use your hands to lightly knead the dough in the bowl until it forms a ball.
3. Press the dough into the bottom and up the sides of the prepared tart pan.
4. Bake crust for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove crust from oven and let cool completely.
Make the filling and assemble the tart:
1. In a large bowl, beat heavy cream until foamy. Slowly add sugar and continue to beat until soft peaks form.
2. In another large bowl, beat cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla extract until smooth.
3. Gently fold whipped cream into cream cheese mixture until completely incorporated.
4. Spread cream cheese filling in tart crust and smooth with an offset spatula.
5. Fill a small squeeze bottle with strawberry-lemon curd and pipe small circles over filling. Use a knife or wooden skewer to swirl curd into filling. Chill tart for at least 2 hours before slicing and serving.
Curd can be made a day ahead and stored in the refrigerator. You will have extra curd after making the tart, but it’s delicious spread on toast or waffles. Press plastic wrap against the surface of the remaining curd and keep chilled for up to a week.