Hurray, it’s Friday! We’ve been looking forward to making this happy hour cocktail all week. This spicy-sweet combination, aptly titled The All American, tastes especially delicious when sipped on the front porch or back patio on a warm summer night.
Try your hand at our new favorite TGIF cocktail tonight. We suggest serving it in a classic double old-fashioned glass — like this one from our Schott Zwiesel Barware collection.
The All American
• 1 oz George Dickel NO. 12® Tennessee Whisky
• 1/2 oz amaretto liqueur
• 1/4 oz simple syrup
• 2 orange wedges
• 2 oz apple cider
• Apple slices for garnish
• In an ice-filled shaker and whisky, amaretto liqueur, simple syrup and orange wedges.
• Shake and strain into a sugar-rimmed rocks glass.
• Top with apple cider and garnish with an apple slice.
The best summer desserts combine everything we love about the season into one delectable treat. Sweet berries, refreshing citrus and a tiny taste of nostalgia blend in this cool and creamy tart from Two of a Kind, seen here with our Lia Paisley Napkins. This recipe is the perfect potluck dish to bring to summer barbecues — or just something sweet to enjoy at home on a hot day. Take a look at the full recipe below!
Strawberry Cream Cheese Tart
Makes one 10-inch tart
Strawberry-lemon curd (see notes):
2 cups sliced strawberries
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
2 tablespoons milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup granulated sugar
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Make the strawberry-lemon curd:
1. Combine strawberries and sugar in a food processor and process until smooth. In a small bowl, combine lemon juice and cornstarch. Pour mixture over puréed strawberries and process until smooth.
2. Press mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a small saucepan. Discard seeds and pulp. Bring mixture to a simmer over medium heat. Stir constantly and cook until somewhat thickened.
3. Remove mixture from heat and pour into a heat-proof bowl or glass jar and cool to room temperature. Press plastic wrap against the surface of the curd and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Make the crust:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a 10-inch (or 10¼-inch) tart pan with a removable bottom.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt. Add the butter and rub it into the flour mixture with your fingertips until it resembles coarse meal. Add the milk and mix with a fork. When the ingredients start to come together, use your hands to lightly knead the dough in the bowl until it forms a ball.
3. Press the dough into the bottom and up the sides of the prepared tart pan.
4. Bake crust for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove crust from oven and let cool completely.
Make the filling and assemble the tart:
1. In a large bowl, beat heavy cream until foamy. Slowly add sugar and continue to beat until soft peaks form.
2. In another large bowl, beat cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla extract until smooth.
3. Gently fold whipped cream into cream cheese mixture until completely incorporated.
4. Spread cream cheese filling in tart crust and smooth with an offset spatula.
5. Fill a small squeeze bottle with strawberry-lemon curd and pipe small circles over filling. Use a knife or wooden skewer to swirl curd into filling. Chill tart for at least 2 hours before slicing and serving.
Curd can be made a day ahead and stored in the refrigerator. You will have extra curd after making the tart, but it’s delicious spread on toast or waffles. Press plastic wrap against the surface of the remaining curd and keep chilled for up to a week.
Why is it always so hard to find a good Father’s Day present? For whatever reason, dads are never easy to shop for. That’s why we love this DIY idea from Leslie Marshall at Camp Makery. Marshall was inspired by our Galvanized Metal Large Cook’s Caddy to create custom BBQ rubs and sauces for Father’s Day this year. Read on to get the recipes and labels so you can make your own DIY BBQ Lover’s Kit for your dad.
PS: Check out even more great Father’s Day gift options here!
Styling and recipes: Leslie Marshall, Camp Makery
Photography: Shannon Stafford
For the BBQ Rub
1 cup paprika
½ cup black pepper
½ cup garlic powder
½ cup onion powder
¼ cup cayenne pepper
¼ cup coarse sea salt
¼ cup brown sugar
For the BBQ Sauce
2 quarts ketchup
½ cup liquid smoke
¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
2 cups brown sugar (or honey!)
½ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
½ cup dry rub seasoning
For the BBQ Rub:
Stir all ingredients together, store in airtight container until ready to use. Sprinkle on choice of meat before grilling or smoking.
TIP: This recipe makes a large amount of BBQ rub, so if your container is small or you’re prepping just a little bit of food, you can always cut the recipe in half.
For the BBQ Sauce:
Mix all ingredients well in a large pot. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 20-30 minutes. Pour into containers and keep refrigerated.
TIP: If you plan on giving two bottles of the sauce, add a little extra cayenne pepper and Tabasco to half of the sauce for a little heat. That way you’ll have one bottle of hot sauce and one bottle of mild sauce.
You can download the templates for the BBQ sauce and rub printable labels here.
See more photos on Camp Makery.
Is it happy hour yet? It might’ve been a short week for some of us, but we’re still looking forward to the weekend. Kick off yours with this delicious cucumber, lime and basil concoction — Green is the New Black!
(Served in our Library Martini Glass, mixed in our Rye Cocktail Shaker)
1.25 oz Tequila Don Julio® Blanco
0.25 oz Velvet Falernum
1 oz cucumber syrup*
1 oz fresh pineapple juice
0.75 oz fresh lime juice
4 basil leaves
Basil leaf, chili powder, fresh lime wedges for garnish
*To create cucumber syrup
4 oz cucumber juice (cucumbers passed through an extractor)
4 oz raw cane sugar
Preparation: Combine ingredients and stir until thoroughly diluted.
Preparation: Combine Tequila Don Julio Blanco, Velvet Falernum, cucumber syrup, fresh pineapple juice, fresh lime juice and basil leaves in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake well and strain into a cocktail glass half rimmed with chili powder. Garnish with basil leaf and two lime wedges.
Craving a cocktail? We’ve got you covered — this whiskey cocktail is one of our favorite summer treats.
On a hot summer’s day, nothing quenches thirst quite like lemonade. That’s why we love this laid-back lemonade and whiskey cocktail — it’s a grown up version of our favorite summer drink, and instantly brings memories of warm nights on the front porch to mind.
The best part? It’s incredibly easy to make — a must for summer cocktails.
• 1.5 oz George Dickel NO. 8® Tennessee Whisky
• 3 oz lemonade
• 1 slice of lemon
Preparation: Combine the whiskey and lemonade in a shaker (our Saddle Leather Cocktail Shaker is shown here) and pour into a glass (we suggest our Mason Jar Mug for that rustic, laid-back feel) with cracked ice. Stir, and garnish with a lemon twist!
Summer is all about outdoor entertaining, delicious food and plenty of cool drinks to have on hand. We’ve been loving the gorgeous shots of our fans and follower’s brilliant entertaining ideas on our Instagram feed! Take a look at some of our favorite summer entertaining photos below — from fans, just like you!
Who knew water could look so good? Beth Helmstetter‘s beautiful lemon and orange drinks in our drink dispensers were a huge hit. PS: See even more photos on Have & Hold, our wedding blog.
Breakfast time! We love waffles — especially when Two of a Kind Cooks makes them on our Cambria Plates.
How cute is this? Our design team set up a delicious birthday celebration in the PB studio, complete with fresh juice in our champagne flutes!
We celebrate National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day in style. These Ana Paisley plates make anything look good!
Did you catch Glitter Guide’s PB Instagram takeover? This shot from a wine party on a warm summer night is one of our favorites.
LoCa Vintage — can you make our next cheeseboard, please? Preferable on our Vintage Wood Pizza Paddle.
Lobster roll, anyone? We suggest trying this tried and true family recipe.
Erica Chan Coffman’s Spring Salad looks just heavenly, don’t you think? Especially on our Emma Dishware.
TGIF! We’re so happy it’s Friday. It’s Mother’s Day Weekend, and that means Sunday brunch with delicious cocktails. This bubbly, girly drink is perfect for Mother’s Day — a sweet and refreshing blend of pomegranate, vodka and prosecco called the Lola. Serve it in our PB Classic Champagne Flutes for an extra festive feel!
1 oz Cîroc® Vodka
1.5 oz pomegranate juice
1 teaspoon elderflower liqueur
1 splash Stellina di Notte® Prosecco
1 orchid blossom
Stir all ingredients over ice to chill and strain into a pre-chilled cocktail glass. Top with a splash of prosecco and garnish with a orchid or another food grade edible flower.
Want more cocktail recipes? Check out our Cocktail of the Month tab on Facebook!