Today marks Flag Day in the United States, a time to reflect on and celebrate the flag. As part of that process, we wanted to share some noted dates in history that pertain to the flag, as well as offer you the chance to win one of these American beauties. (We’re giving away 10 of the American Flag Lumbar Pillows in all.)
Here are five American flag dates in history that might intrigue you:
- In May of 1776, Betsy Ross reported that she sewed the first American flag.
- In 1795, the flag gained two more stars and stripes, thanks to the addition of the states of Kentucky and Vermont.
- In 1820, the flag was up to 23 stars, (though the number of stripes returned to 13), thanks to the additions of several more states, including in that year the state of Maine.
- Jumping ahead, in 1942 President Roosevelt passed the Federal Flag Code (36 U.S.C. 171 et seq.), which provides uniform guidelines for the display and respect shown to the flag.
- The last star on the flag was added in in 1960, after Hawaii was added as a state on August 21, 1959.
To enter the contest, simply fill out the form below. Official rules can be found here.
Thank you for reading. This contest is now closed.