Celebrated on November 1st of each year, Dia de los Muertos (The Day of the Dead) is a holiday that focuses on remembering friends and family members who have passed on. Though most widely celebrated in Mexico, it’s observed throughout the world, and many cities have dedicated festivities and parades for Dia de los Muertos. Some of the traditions surrounding the holiday include the use of marigolds, sugar skulls, and favorite foods and drinks to decorate the altars of departed loved ones. Here, we offer a quick primer on ways to celebrate the holiday, from commemorative posters to papel picado.
- Hang papel picado (paper banners) from doorways or string them across porches. Large Multicolor Metallic Picado Banner (8.95)
- Charmingly macabre, these Mexican sugar skull cookies will satisfy your sweet tooth. Day of the Dead Cookies ($45 for a dozen)
- Dia de los Gigantes. We’re celebrating our home team as well as the Day of the Dead with this sugar skull-inspired Giants imagery from artist John Hershey. Order your own t-shirt today! Dia de los Gigantes t-shirts, sweatshirts, stickers and more.
- Artist Kira Moth created this Dia de los Muertos poster for the 2009 San Francisco holiday. She has another gorgeous design up for this year’s Marigold Project event. La Calavera Catrina Day of the Dead Poster ($15)
- Marigolds are the traditional flower used to decorate altars on this holiday, as their scent is rumored to attract souls back from whence they came. Try adding tightly bunched, oversized bouquets of marigolds to your dining room table. Find them at your local florist or plant marigold seeds — they’re very easy to grow. High Mowing Organic Marigold Seeds ($2.75 per package)
- We’re imagining this spooky candle surrounded by sprays of red and pink roses. Romantically gothic, yes? Skull on Book Candle ($29.50)
- Tired of decking out your home? Try some more personal decorating when you slip on an enameled bangle bedecked in skulls. Alexander McQueen Enameled Skull Bracelet ($250)
Source: Marigold photo via Flickr User Muffet